Energy snack for your next trip – Flapjacks!

We have been corresponding with one of our readers Julia.  The hot topic was hiking food, of course!

Julia  is living in Spain and gets out and about doing day walks and longer trips all around Spain and the Pyrenees. It sounds like a great spot to be,  and the trips, magic.

She was checking out Food to Go and decided we needed another snack recipe and shot it through to share with you all.

Let us introduce the Flapjack.

Over to Julia:

I checked out the ‘snacks’ part and found that there is something missing, so I thought I’d send it to you. It is called the ‘flapjack’, which is a very rich energy bar. I got the recipe from some English hikers and now we all make it. We are even planning a ‘flapjack competition’!

We just can’t go out there without it anymore and it is super simple to make.  I cut the flapjack up in squares, the size of an energy bar,  and wrap them up individually. They are soooo good and very healthy as well.

Hiking energy food ideas

The recipe:

275 grams oats
100 grams  light brown sugar
125 grams of nuts, dry fruit etc. (ginger)
150 grams unsalted butter
4  table spoons of honey
(sesame seeds)

——-

Mix the oats, sugar, nuts and dried fruits (cut up in small bits) in a bowl (I add grated ginger root as well)
Melt the butter and honey
Add them all together and mix well
Put in oven dish or cake tin, press together (I sprinkle sesame seeds on top and smooth them out with the back of a spoon)
Bake  for 40 mins. at 180ºC (no.5)
Cool in tin and cut into squares while still warm.

——-

I hope you will try it and like it as much as we do!

Thanks very much for sharing Julia, we will try it out, looks yum.

Do you have a favourite snack you love to take on a  hiking trip?

Have you got a recipe to share?

Drop a comment below and share your ideas with other Our Hiking Blog readers (and sweet lovers)

Comments

1. Gary Phillips says

Hi there,

I had to go and make this recipe with some modifications. I am coeliac and the changes needed to be made.

My version used puffed rice instead of oats and even then due to the volume of the rice total weight was 70g(puffed rice has more bulk then rolled oats). I threw in some almond slithers and some mixed peel that just happened to be laying around (that’s if peel can actually lay around) some home dried apricots (inspiration courtesy of “Food to go”), sinflower (oops, that’s sunflower) seeds, a bit of cinamon and some currents. I did put in too much honey and butter as the finished product is a bit sicky. All up though I am quite pleased with the end result and my daughter likes the bars enough to have them in her lunch at school.

A great recipe and I really do thank Julia for all her inspiration.

Gary

Hi Gary,
      Thanks for sharing this, great options! Double win, you and your daughter love it!

Yes, many tahnks to Julia (and you)

Enjoy

Flapjacks are fantastic. My wife regularly makes them for hiking trips here in the Pyrenees. Great thing is they’ll last several days no problem at all and don’t crumble so you’ve still got something yummy to snack on that final day of a 3 or 4 day trip. Easy to make too (well so she tells me….)

3. Robin says

Thanks for the snack recipe Julia – something new is always worth a try.
    You ask for snack contributions Frank, well I haven’t one myself – but on behalf of Mother Nature I’ll put forward the humble “Date”.
    Been used for thousands of years by the crafty people – you know, the ones with all the oil!
    There are two main types you can get in Australia, rutab or ripe dates and tamar or cured dates.
    The rutab are the ones you can get loose from the supermarkets or greengrocer (love Medjool), whereas the tamar are the ones in the packs in the dried fruit section of the supermarkets.
    Rutab will last three weeks in a zip-top plastic bag at room temperature, where tamar will last till the cows come home! Rutab have a higher moisture content than tamar, but a lower natural sugar.
    On the GI index dates come in at a massive 103 where a “Mars bar” is in the low 60’s – so you can get an energy-hit by just looking at a date!!!
    They keep you regular and have a soothing influence by helping to raise levels of the calming serotonin in the brain.
    Dates contain beta-carotene, vitamins B6 and B3 (niacin), which helps maintain healthy skin and the nervous and digestive systems. The niacin makes dates good for those suffering from depression.
    The iron in dates means they are useful for anyone suffering fatigue or anaemia. Dates also contain potassium which helps regulate blood pressure, and magnesium – vital for bones, muscles and the heart.
    They are the only fruit which contain phosphorus – so if your matches are wet, try rubbing two date togeather! 😉
    Dates are extremely nutritious. They contain more natural sugar than any other fruit and deliver a substantial amount of dietary fibre and
    potassium, as well as providing many vitamins and mineral salts -AND you don’t have to make them!
    Finally – NO! I don’t own a date farm.
    Regards
    Robin

Fantastic information Robin,
      There is a lot of great things about dates there!
      I often take a few and add them to porridge as I heat it up. They are really nice with some brown or raw sugar! Simple and the dats make the breakfast.

Must add a few to chew on on our next trip.
      Thanks again,

Hi Debra,
      Sorry about the delay.
      The oats is about 2 1/2 cups
      Sugar – 3/4 cup
      Nuts etc – 1/2 cup
      I don/t thinkl thay ahave to be dead accurate – the honey and butter bind them together.

Good luck!