Australian Snake Bite Kit – Win one!

I know we are a bit obsessed by snakes here at Our Hiking Blog but there is always that niggling concern you may be bitten by a snake while in an isolated place.  The odds are very low but the more we walk, the more we tend to see snakes along the way.

We were recently contacted by Ben from The Australian Snake Bite Kit asking about advertising on the site.  After sussing out his product we happily agreed to go ahead. The observant ones among you may notice his advert to the right of screen!

As part of the “deal” Ben has offered to provide a FREE Australian Snake Bite Kit as a competition prize.

Australian Snake Bite Kit
So, here is the competition:

How many snakes have you seen while bushwalking or hiking?

To enter, just leave your reply or comment below by the Sunday 6th February at midnight (Australian eastern daylight savings time) and you will be in the draw! It’s as simple as that!

The winner will be announced on Monday 7th February, following a random draw. Ben will then contact you to arrange free delivery anywhere in Australia. (sorry, only Australian based entries please, it IS an Australian Snake Bite Kit!)

p.s. There is NO right or wrong answer, everyone who leaves a reply has a chance to win!

p.p.s Don’t forget to check out the full Australian Snake Bite Kit by clicking here.

Comments

1. Brendan says

I reckon it would have to be somewhere between 10 and 15. Can’t remember them all. One I do remember was on the side of Spicer’s Peak in the Main Range National Park in the Scenic Rim, Queensland. It was sitting there on a rock sunning itself and happily watched as we hauled packs past it up the steep incline (while we nervously watched it in return).

2. Ryan says

I love the idea of a snake bite kit. I usually just carry a first aid kit, but in cases of snakebite, its a bit of a tricky one to be honest.

As for how many I have run into, I couldn’t count them all. As someone who has climbed almost all the peaks in Victoria, its impossible to count them all. I’ve run into them on the overland track countless times, on the Frenchmans Cap Track and in the Walls of Jerusalem. Seen more than my fair share on Mt Howitt and Magdala, and remember coming across one stubborn Tiger Snake that refused to let me pass on the side of Mt Feathertop near Federation Hut.

However… one in particular comes to mind that I saw on our way to Mt Jagungal that I happened to step on. Luckily I was wearing Gaiters. Only noticed when I felt what can only be summarized as someone banging me on the leg with a hammer, only to realize that a dirty great big brown snake was trying to bite through my gaiters.

Never in my life have I run away screaming like a little girl…. that is a day that I will never forget. haha

3. Michael Gilbert says

HAVE ONLY SEEN A FEW ON THE TRAIL, TWO RECENTLY AT THE PROM. HOWEVER
    HAVE SEEN TWO IN MY YARD. MY DOG WAS BITTEN BY A TIGER A QUICK TRIP TO THE VET AND SOME ANTI-VENOM SAVED HIM. MAYBEE I NEED THIS KIT FOR HOME ON MELBOURNE OUTSKIRTS.

4. Virginia says

Funny you should mention a Snake Bit Kit. I climbed Mt Warning on the weekend and on the way down from the summit there was a baby brown snake sitting on a rock watching me make my descent. It was a good reminder to me that we need to get our first aid kit together when we walk the Overland Track in March.

5. Bill says

Its hard to say how many one has seen, or in not seen as is more likely the case. Many times as I’ve been walking through the bush you hear something moving beside the track or something disappearing into the scrub. My closest encounter was walking down the Little River Gorge in the height of the drought in 83 and stepping over a pool of water only to find a metre long snake exit the water as I stopped on the other side.

Been real lucky so far. Think I’ve seen lest than an half a dozen in the bush. Seen just as many in my own backyard. Red Bellies too. That’s a real problem as I my kids play there.

I like the idea of the marker pen in the snake kit, to mark the location of the bit. That really does help the docs.

7. Vanna says

I grew up in Tassie and mustered stock at the base of Mt Roland in at Cradle Mountain. Tiger snakes were common and gumboots a must. Here in the Wimmera we have fiesty Browns who sooner fight than flight. I see them almost everyday on the farm. How ever a hill out in the Big Desert where I often walk I find alot of lazy red bellied blacks, they are the loungers of the desert.
    I have had one encounter with a brown, where I was using a lady loo Acacia Pycnantha and about to do Lady sit, when luckily I looked behind me. There was a brown about to stand up, I was very lucky and agile, and believe it or not, I did not have to change my undies after the encounter. They say my scream was heard 100km away.

Well let me see… How many snakes have I seen while hiking.
    That’s a tough one.
    If I only go back to 2005, well, the trip to Frenchmans Cap was interesting because there was a Tiger Snake sticking its head out of the buttongrass, and I didn’t see it until quite late, if I had taken one more step my foot would have landed right beside its head. I had good boots on, and gaiters. But it’s funny how seeing a snake can put you from full forward to full reverse instantly… I only saw it because it was barking at me, it’s a rather strange sound to hear a Tiger snake barking, first the hiss (if you’re lucky) then the barking, they really don’t want to bite, but will if they feel they have to (talking about Tiger snakes in Tasmania, from my experience). The head off the ground is also a sign of aggravation.

Then there were the baby tiger snakes we saw on that walk, can’t remember how many of them we saw but there were a few. Took a photo of one, they were about 6 inches long. Didn’t stick around, my wife said “wonder where mum and dad are”, I said “or Grandma and Grandpa”…..
    One trip up to Lake Bill there was a white lipped snake getting about, which was rather strange – it was July!
    There was a weekend up at the Walls of Jerusalem where we saw 7 in two days, 5 tigers and two white lipped snakes.
    Coming down a steep section of the Arm River track, there was a really large one traveling beside us in the bush about 5 metres away, it was as big as the other one I saw in the middle of the track more recently which Frank has a photo of. (Not sure how to link in these comments.)
    There was a rustle in some bushes right beside us once, we were sure it was a snake but didn’t see it, Arm River track again.
    Saw another White Lipped snake on Sunday coming down from Mt Olympus. A good thing we didn’t see more snakes on that walk, coming down to meet up with the Overland track the scrub is pretty thick in places, no tracks.
    There was one that I remember on the way to Walled mountain, sitting on a rock as we were making our way down the same rocks, it was a large Tiger snake as well but it was well more scared of us and disappeared quite quickly, thankfully.
    Another was in a low spot among some pineapple grass near a creek heading down off Mt Rogoona, it disappeared behind some Pandanis.
    A really interesting one – when heading up towards Moonlight Ridge, you come to Bullfrog Tarns. At the eastern end of the first one, there was an overhang that made a bit of a cave, and a tiger snake was using that for its home, We didn’t know it was there and were helping ourselves to some water when it came out, looking like it wanted to have a go, but turned quickly and went back to its cave. We promptly left and went to the 2nd large tarn, which by the way was chock full of frogs and tadpoles which I have a number of photos of.
    There were some on the South Coast track, the details get a bit sketchy because you tend to get a bit used to them. But one things for certain, while getting more used to them I am certainly not complacent. They always get a wide berth, lots of stomping (from a distance) to get them moving, if that doesn’t work it’s off track, a wife berth (and I’m talking about somewhat MORE than 2 or 3 metres). And that big one on the Arm River track was one of the freakiest because I hadn’t seen it until I was way too close… Makes your blood run cold! I’d taken 3 big steps backward (and swore a bit) before I took that photo.

Saw a copperhead along the road not far from where I live. Also saw a tiger snake in our back yard about 5 years ago, and another last year.
    I’m certain there’s more, I can’t think of them right now. But one thought that bothers me more is that how many have seen me that I didn’t see? Sends shivers down the spine just thinking about it.

One experience I have not had the “pleasure” of is that I have heard the tiger snakes like to sit on top of buttongrass clumps. So when you’re walking along, you can come to a buttongrass clump with a snake on it, and as the track is usually eroded down a bit, this can put the snake at torso or head height. That’s just too freaky to bother pondering on.

9. shazcol says

Last trip to Lees Paddocks in early November we encountered four snakes on the way to Wadleys hut. One that made us walk around him as he refused to move no matter what we did. We wondered how many bandages we had packed when trying to move the last one. This would be a good kit to have around in the travelling kit.

Encountering snakes in the water is more worrying than on land. They are very fast swimmers and attracted to objects in the water. I remember as a teenager trying to get one off the oar of our small row boat in the middle of a dam, that gets the heart rate pumping!

10. Alex Scott says

I can safely say 1.

Walking on the local track back to Wollangarra one time, big tiger snake in the middle of the track…

lucky it was hot that day, cause we walked back (we waited for 10 mins, it didnt move) and went through the river…

11. jane says

I’ve seen several brown snakes while walking along the Hallett Cove Conservation Park walking trail. They have slithered away without any problems, luckily!

12. Andrew Bishop says

Probably seen around 10 snakes in the bush. Most recent was just after new year, when my daughter surprised a black snake near Moroka Falls in the Vic Alpine country. We both started carrying a stick after that!

13. SuLi says

Quite a few especially during the summer months. Just saw two in a day on the West Coast in Tassie! (probably tiger snakes)
    Snakes sunning themselves on rocks are a common sight in canyons.
    Although I haven’t been on a trip where anyone’s been bitten, it’s a great idea to have a snake bite kit (or just some bandages) just in case.

14. Frank says

Fantastico! Thanks to EVERYONE for leaving such great comments! Above and beyond the call and fascinating reading.

I can really see why I wear gaiters……..

15. Steve says

I’ve been lucky enough to have seen only 1 while walking, but almost ran over one (red belly black snake IRC) in the city whilst cycling along an inner suburban river trail!

+1 on the gaiters… I’ve heard enough stories of close calls to be paranoid now.

16. Jim says

Only a few. I’ve seen more around my house than on the trail. Standing on one when walking certanly gave the heart a work out though.
    Looks like a good kit

17. Barbara says

Like others, more at home than out walking. Browns are pretty common around Tamworth. Had a close encounter with a copperhead near Ben Lomond, NSW. I work on the theory that if you can hear it moving around it’s unlikely to be a snake (not sure if that’s a plus or a minus). I agree with the comment that they’re more scary in the water!

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say only a handful while out walking, mostly Brown’s. Back home on the farm (which involved a lot of walking too, checking fence-lines in the heavily vegetated areas we couldn’t get into on a motorbike or horse) is a different story, we dubbed the track to the orchard “Snake Gully”, in summer you could look across that little gully and see little (and NOT so little!) blck and red boddies stretched out on the grass. It actually looked very peaceful, like they were all having a big family picnic 😛 One of our cats (‘Tiger’ by name, but generally not by nature) killed a 4′ Red-Belly and brought it up to the house for bbq’ing, good boy!

Over here in the Pyrenees I occasionally see Southern Smooth Snakes and Green Whipsnakes both of which are pretty harmless.

When I was doing some trekking in Australia it was a different matter! First night we set up our tent at the official campsite at Wilpena Pound and headed over to the rangers office (or was it the bar?). I was in my own world reading the map as we walked, suddenly my wife pushed me really hard and fortunately prevented me standing on a brown snake! That’s not a brown snake I replied – just happens to be a snake that’s brown as I took a few photos. Couple of minutes later the ranger came past and saw it and confirmed it was indeed a brown snake. My wife’s always right! Saw quite a few snakes on that trip.

When I was 15 went to the world scout jamboree outside of Sydney and part of it was a two day hike. Remember being a littel nervous when they handed out our food, etc and we were given a plastic bag full of anti-venoms and a sheet with pictures of spiders and snakes telling us which one to use for which bite! Thank goodness didn’t see either snake or spider on that hike.

Phil

20. Kim says

we are novices and just planning our first overland track experience. we haven’t come across any snakes yet but want to be fully prepared. the idea of having to deal with a snake bite or other medical emergency without phone coverage is a bit daunting. My husband had a heart attack last year and it could easily have happened the week earlier when we climbed Mt Budawang on the south coast. Ironically he barely raised a sweat on the climb but I was the one red in the face and puffing like a steam train! I guess that’s the point – you never know what’s around the corner.

Amazingly, I can only recall one, in the Royal National Park some years ago. We’ve been lucky I guess.
    However my imagination saw about a million a few years back doing the Jatbula Trail in the NT!

22. Frank says

And the winner is Steve (number one) – Congratulations Steve.

I have commented on the comment to make it clear (there were two Steves). He will be contacted by email and receive a free Australian Snake Bite Kit in the mail soon.
    Many thanks to Ben for providing this great prize and special thanks to you all for such terrific input.

23. heather-lee says

This competition might be long over but I thought I’d add my snake tale ! I’ve seen quite a lot of different snakes during my walks both here in Aus and in PNG.
    I made up my own kit of four large bandages, info card, lint pad and marker pen about 24 years ago when I started taking my kids bush. One of the many bushwalking rules I taught them was ALWAYS carry a snakebite kit. And just as well cos it may have saved my life. – Three years ago I was walking on the back of Mt Nebo (Queensland) and disobeyed another bush rule by jumping suddenly over a log for a comfort stop. Thought I snagged my foot on a stick – turned out to be a very large red-bellied black, and then I noticed the two drops of blood welling up on my ankle ! I was alone and at least 7 km from any point of road access. So I calmed myself, wrapped my leg with two of my bandages, rang my husband and sat down to wait and see. After 30 mins I had no symptoms so I walked out to the road and got picked up. But that night after the bandages were removed I had terrible pain and headaches etc. So if you didn’t win this comp, do yourself a favour and make up a kit, and don’t EVER hike without it !! :)