Wet walking track – give up on dry feet?

Watch out! Another video by Frank!

Bushwalking in Tasmania can be a wet experience. In this post we share a short video of some of the track conditions you can encounter after a lot of rain. Wet feet are part of any backpacking journey and this video was shot near Cradle Mountain and Lake Rodway. We hope it demonstrates how wet the tracks can be after a good lot of rain.

Do you accept wet feet while hiking?
What do you wear to try and keep your feet dry?
How beautiful and clear is that water?

Comments

I had sunny, dry weather when I hiked for the better part of a week in Tasmania – doing the Cradle Mtn Walk. However, I know how bad it can get by the numerous written descriptions in huts along the way.

It may not be snowing in Vancouver but it sure doesn’t feel like the summer solstice is just days away either.

2. Frank says

@Son of Beach – yep, it was not bad but so different to where we come from. Have been in drought in Victoria for years. I put it up so people can see what to expect (at a minimum!) Must be snow up that way now.

@Leigh – I didn’t know you had hiked the Overland Track! When was that? I thought it was the start of summer in Canada!

Thanks to you both for dropping by and taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

I did the Overland track about a year and a half ago and the thing I found worse than just the water was the mud, and getting stuck in it and falling over several times 😛
    I have really good waterproof hiking boots but my feet still got wet everyday from walking through all that water and mud! All good fun though :)

Hi Sheree,
      Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment! Yep the mud is the best bit of the OT. I just threw up that vid because I was impressed with the amount of water around. I just love how clear it is (and tastes beautiful!) Sue never seems to get wet feet, I don’t really know how she does it. My feet are always wet and it just does not worry me. Good luch with your blog. Have some resources I can shoot you if interested. (emails on the contact page) Cheers!

4. Georgie says

Funniest thing I encountered on the Overland Track last December was the sight of two sisters walking together, and one didn’t want to walk through a very large puddle, so decided to step onto the button grass at the side, and went down into bog to her knees. I turned away as I was laughing to myself so much, and turned back just in time to see sister No 2 do the same thing trying to rescue sister No 1. They were both bogged up to their knees, with no idea how to get out. It was a very funny sight for me who was not bogged, but it was wet and cold for them. My boys were coming up behind me (I start walking before them, then they catch up and overtake), so I knew help was close at hand, but they didn’t. Pulling one person out of button grass bog is very difficult, but watching two being hauled out was even funnier than seeing them go in. My contribution was to make them a hot drink, but they were not happy that I couldn’t stop chortling to myself. I am laughing now just thinking about it. G

Ha Ha, good one Georgie! Great to have you back. They should have followed the “rules”, you stick to the track and stop making it wider and damaging the environment!

Can imagine the conversation:
      Georgie: “Oops, sorry girls, would you like a cup of tea?”
      Sisters: “Oh, yes thanks, we ARE a bit wet”
      Georgie: ” There you go, sorry, it IS a bit tannin stained…..just like your shorts”

btw, are u at uni? Want to email you.

Hi Simon,
      Sue seems to magically keep her feet pretty dry. She has waterproof boots and wears gaiters. This stops most of the water. She also tends to avoid the deepest bits of water where possible.
      Once in camp, she changes into crocs, puts the boots somewhere sunny or at least “upside down” to drain them and hangs her wet socks up to dry.
      If our feet get wet we always put on the wet socks in the morning, keeping a pair dry for at night. We also often wring out the wet socks and lay them between the sleeping bag and mat or mat and tent floor to dry them with some body warmth.

Wet feet are really only a small inconvenience compared with taking a great walk!

Good luck