Best Travel Pack? – We splash the cash on One Planet

What is the best travel pack?
What features are important when deciding on which one to spend your hard earned dollars on?
Is there a good compromise between a suitcase and a backpack?

Why the need for a travel pack?

We plan to travel a bit in the next few years – e.g. Cambodia in late August for three weeks

The way we plan to travel i.e. backpacking, lends itself to a rucksack rather than a suitcase

Suitcases are not easy to drag around and having your hands free is a bonus.

We might want to do some short (2-3 day walks) and are willing to compromise on pack weight and harness quality.

After some superficial (well we were in a hurry) investigation and drawing on our previous experience with One Planet packs, we headed towards our local Mountain Designs Store and checked out the One Planet Wheelie.

One Planet Wheelie Travel pack

One Planet Wheelie Travel pack - solid unit

It looked the goods with these features closing the deal:

• Its solid and tough not just a piece of cheap junk that will last one trip
  • The materials are high quality, you can just feel it (zips, wheels, handle, fabric etc)
  • Design is simple and everything works well, stuff like pockets etc are where they should be
  • The harness is a clever piece of design that zips away well.  A lot of thought has gone into it
  • Access to packing clothes and gear was easy, it zips right open

One Planet Wheelie Travel pack - harness
One Planet Wheelie Travel pack – harness

What to look out for or think about before spending your dollars:

• By it’s nature it is heavy – frame, handle, wheels etc  (over 4kg) that takes up a lot of your baggage weight
  • A tad pricey compared with the competition BUT we nailed a 30% off sale – suppose you pay for longevity and quality
  • There are only two colours, and let’s face it, who cares.
One Planet Wheelie Travel pack train

One Planet Wheelie Travel pack train

What do you use as a travel pack?
Do you think we made the right decision with the “wheelie” or can you suggest something else for our readers?

btw, we have no commercial relationship with One Planet or Mountain Designs but would love to (come on guys, a spot on the side bar is waiting for you!)

If you are looking for information about a hiking, backpacking or bushwalking pack we reviewed the One Planet Strezlecki a while back , it might be worth a read.

I wanted to get one of those wheelie-packs but we wanted to keep our packs to around 10-12 kg’s (for our 3 months in South/Central America). We both have back problems (less so now than back then thanks to our osteopath) so it was extremely important that we kept the weight down. I think the lightest my pack ever got over the 3 months was 11 kg’s. I would have struggled with 15 kg’s!

We ended up going with the Aarn Peak Aspiration pack ( and we never regretted the decision once! Now that we’re back, it’s perfect for taking hiking too (not that I’ve done that yet but I will be soon).

Having said all of that, there were PLENTY of times when I would have loved to have taken my pack off and pulled it around behind me. Maybe if I was making the decision now (with my back in better condition) I might have gone for one of these instead.

I was also looking to one of those wheelie backpack for our rtw trip, although I think it was a northface one. at the end we opted to go for a classic backpack since we thought the 4kg extra of the frame could have made a huge different on our back. glad so, as we left with a 10kg backpack and came back with a couple of kilos more which at the end I could really feel them all. I am not sure how I would have handled even some more extras kilos.

Hi Marta,
      Agree, The base weight of the pack is pretty high. What we liked about them was they were tough. Even full they would not be too much of a problem to carry , we are used to 20kg on our backs (I STILL have not forgot…work is getting in the way)

3. Richard says

Neil – wow living for 3 months out of a Peak Aspiration. Well done – I’m pushed to get 5 days out of mine :)

4kgs is a weight in itself!

I’ve done travel in Cambodia/Laos. The wheels will be pretty useless outside of Phnom Penh – unless they’re 4wd :) What about a much lighter travel pack – and have a fold out trolley for airports/hotels?

Another idea is to have a cheap nylon woven bag (you know those red and white things?) to throw your nice light pack in before it gets thrown in the back of the ute/truck.

Richard: Haha yeah it took a bit of planning to make that happen but it wasn’t too much trouble really. We didn’t do any self-catering at all though so that meant a lot less space was needed.

Wouldn’t the trolley be awkward to pack/carry when not in use?

5. Adam says

We are looking at this pack at the moment. I don’t see the pack weight being as big an issue as is made out. Most decent packs seem to be around the 3kg mark. With this pack, you are only talking about an additional kilo, not such a big issue to me. My main concern is the maximum weight all up. This has to be kept in the range of 15 – 20 kg as I find in a lot of countries your bag becomes damaged as the handlers cannot manage the weight.

Thanks for dropping by Adam,
      Agree about the weight , which is why we ended up buying one each. On this trip to Cambodia I am making a serious effort to keep down the amount of clothes and other junk I take so hopefully pack weight will be ok.