Wow, Frank was lucky enough to receive a great new ultralight lantern for Christmas. It is a Black Diamond Orbit Lantern
We saw this light in use at Waterfall Valley Hut on the Overland Track in September and were very impressed. We usually just take headlights and a couple of tea candles but this lantern will now be in the kit.
Tech information off the website for those inclined:
- DoublePower LED with 45 lumens (max setting) enclosed inside a frosted globe produces bright, non-glaring light
- Dual reflector system captures and maximizes light output
- Uses NRG2 Rechargeable Battery Kit (with Battery Power Indicator) or 4 AAA alkaline batteries
- Unique dimming switch provides adjustable brightness
- Compactible to 102 mm (4 in); extended height is 140 mm (5.5 in)
- Collapsible hang loop
In “Our Hiking Blog” plain English, this means:
- it’s pretty small
- it’s pretty light
- it has a dimmer that works really well
- it seems tough
We can’t wait to try it out next week at Blanket Bay on our annual car camping holiday!
The retail price in Australia is quite steep (around $65-$80) so it is not a cheap unit to purchase. We notice at Backcountry Edge they are around US$30. This is the link: Black Diamond Orbit Lantern