Great food for hiking?
Simple and fast to prepare and rehydrate?
Excellent tasting high energy backpacking food?
Spaghetti bolognese joins “Our Hiking Blog Menu” as a cheap and tasty meal.
Spaghetti Bolognese – cheap, very tasty and an easy meal for multi day hiking
We have been drying food for bushwalking for the last few years and love the simplicity of drying our home cooked meals. We can control the portion size and make sure we have enough to eat after a long hard day in the bush. The taste and flavours are also important when we hike and on our last trip to Tasmania we tried drying Spaghetti Bolognese for the first time.
It was a great success and a very simple process.
– We cooked the bolognese sauce as normal.
– We cooked the spaghetti as normal (after cutting it into thirds)
– We mixed the sauce and pasta together.
– We filled up a bowl (for each of us) with our normal serving size and then added about 25%. We are always hungrier out on the trail compared with at home. This gives us the correct meal portion to dehydrate.
– We dried the meals in our fruit dryer on the fruit leather trays (stir it occasionally to ensure even drying.
– We refrigerated the dried meal in a ziploc bag until the trip.
– We added some grated parmesan cheese to a separate lightweight sandwich bag and sealed it into the meal bag ready to add once rehydrated and heated.
|Hi, Frank & Sue here,|
Sick of eating the same boring food every time you go hiking?
We teach you how to plan a menu, package your food, share ideas on what to eat or how to dehydrate meals, our book Food to Go is packed with easy tips and great recipes!
The Spaghetti Bolognese on a fruit leather tray, ready to dry
The Spaghetti Bolognese dry and ready for storage
Bagged up and ready for rehydrating.
When you arrive at camp:
– boil some water and place your meal in a large cooking pot
– cover the pasta with the boiling water and put on the pot lid
– have a cuppa and relax
– every 10 minutes (or so) gently stir the pasta
– add more water as the pasta absorbs it
– when you are ready to eat, gently heat the pasta.
– sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese